Results From The Largest Study On True Fasting To Date
This article is about the largest fasting study to date. I will start by sharing a summary of the findings from the study of more than 1,400 participants during a 21-day water fast.
The fasting study provided detailed evidence that:
- Fasting mobilizes the energy stored in the fatty tissue of the human body. The metabolism switches from glucose to fat and ketone consumption, causing many beneficial effects. The metabolic change was documented in the study by the permanent presence of ketone bodies in the urine.
- Fasting leads to significant weight loss, reduced abdominal circumference, and lowered cholesterol and blood lipid levels.
- Fasting also normalized blood pressure and improved diabetes parameters such as blood sugar and HbA1c, thus improving many factors that contribute to a healthy cardiovascular system.
- Furthermore, in 84 % of cases, serious health conditions such as arthritis, type 2 diabetes as well as fatty liver and hypercholesterolemia, high blood pressure, and fatigue improved as a result of fasting.
- 93 % of the subjects did not feel hungry during fasting, which contributed to their emotional and physical well-being.
- Medically supervised fasting had only very few side effects, which could be treated easily and without interruptions to fasting. In individual cases, subjects experienced restless sleep, headaches, tiredness, or lumbar spine complaints during the first three days.
In summary, this particular fasting program has been shown to be a safe and well-tolerated approach to prevent age-related illnesses and treat chronic metabolic disorders, including weight issues.
These are the same findings I have witnessed in my program with more than 300 individuals I’ve worked with 1 on 1, as well as similar findings from more basic programs involving thousands of participants.
Even the entry-level programs that don’t go beyond moderate intermittent fasting I have designed and that have been used by 10s of thousands of individuals report benefits such as these to a lesser degree.
So, whether you are just starting out, trying a few fasting methods, or applying them on and off, the return in the form of health improvements is very impressive and works in just about every model we have applied them to.
Individual cases and different experiences are to be expected. I have learned that the key to achieving the high level of positive changes that are possible from fasting depends almost entirely on the preparation, planning, and application of the basic health enhancement efforts that we consistently incorporate in our day in and day out lives.
I can’t say that I have seen a distinct difference between results from a 7 day fast and anything longer. Any fasting seems to move your metabolic markers in the right direction and there are various ways to approach fasting to obtain even better, faster results when it is combined with other metabolic health modifications and habits. I call these fasting or autophagy magnifiers because they magnify the powerful health improvements that are experienced with fasting alone.
Although it is true that the fast itself provides health and healing benefits, it pales in comparison to what the well-structured and timed incorporation of fasting magnifiers can do when these are applied.
So please, don’t spread more misinformation about being in “starvation mode,” or “eating your muscle,” or “fasting causing stress on the body”. These statements are fiction and are not a reflection of what is happening on a well-orchestrated fasting rotation when it is planned out well on a fasting calendar.
Like anything else, the more you learn, prepare, and plan for your fasting experience, the more you can get from it, and the more comfortable it can be.
Keep an open mind and seek out a professionally guided and designed fasting program where you can learn this process and how to make it part of your healthy lifestyle for both you and your family.
Yes, I am one of those professionals and I do have a program. I encourage you to seek out something that resonates with you, and even if that isn’t my model of Functional Fasting or program, I would be happy to help in any way I can.
The goal is to seek out the information and learn about this secret weapon so you too can change your health and future through fasting.
Then take action and DO something! No more excuses.
We can do better!
- Wilhelmi de Toledo, F., Grundler, F., Bergouignan, A., Drinda, S., & Michalsen, A. (2019). Safety, health improvement and well-being during a 4 to 21-day fasting period in an observational study including 1422 subjects. PloS one, 14(1), e0209353. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0209353
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!